My Blog List

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Current Study Plan

Hummm from this blog, it may look like I quit working on learning objective-c. In fact that's not true. I just quit writing posts about it.

Course I'm following:

1) I spent the summer really focusing on just the language of Objective-C. I did detour a little while investigating and trying out the exercises from the O'Reilly book I wrote about in my last entry. But that was just a bunch of new stuff to learn. I got stuck in chapter 3 (even though I paid attention to the author's caveats and read comments at his forum). And decided that I would go back to that book later. Learning Objective-C is what I reeally want to do.

So I did MOST of the chapters in the Objective-C for Dummies book. The ones that had programming tutorials.

2) Then I sat down and tried to create some of my own examples. What I noticed was, that I still think like a structured programmer! So my approach is off.

3) Therefore.... I'm taking a Java class this fall. It's a basic intro to Java (a language I want to work with anyway).  I'm doing the reading carefully, doing the homework and then I'm working to RECREATE the Java class homework in objective-c.  First I"m working on creating console-output type exercises. Then I work on making GUI/Interface Builder type exercises.

I like this approach because it's giving me abundant problem solving practice with the language alone. Also it's helping me to always think in terms of working in objects.

4) I look for ideas and pointers in the StackOverflow forum a lot. What a great bunch of people to share their time so generously.

No comments:

Post a Comment